Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Visit from Carly

During Evan's first Spring Break, we had a very special guest stay with us. Carly, author of Tune Into Radio Carly, came to stay with us for a few days. Carly is from Australia and was traveling through the States and stopped for a visit in our neck of the woods. I met Carly online, through Ichthyosis support groups. Carly is affected with the Netherton form of Ichthyosis. We started our friendship through social media; comments on posts or pictures which led to conversations through messaging. In 2012, Carly was planning a trip to the States and was making a stop in NYC. I asked her if we would be able to meet for dinner and she kindly made time to meet me. I was lucky enough to even meet her mother as well! We had a lovely time and our friendship blossomed from there.

When Carly mentioned that she was planning another trip to the States this year, I jumped at the opportunity to offer my home to her. Fortunately she was able to fit a visit in to come see us. We had a lovely time. It was the first time she was able to meet Evan (as I did not bring him into the city to meet her a few years ago). Evan was just delighted and took to Carly instantly. Every morning when he woke up he would say "Where's Carly?" and point to the gifts she brought him from Australia.


We enjoyed our days chatting and laughing. We were able to meet up with a few ladies from the FIRST Foundation for lunch which was so great. I'm glad we were able to arrange a time to see them as I know they were anxious to meet Carly as well. Carly even tried out our MicroSilk tub while she was here. I was curious to get an adult's perspective on how effective it was on the skin and she seemed to like it. The days she was here were so enjoyable and I had such a lovely time hosting her. She pretty much got the whole New England weather experience too. One day was warm and sunny, the next cold and rainy and it even snowed a few inches on the last night she was here!  I cannot wait for another visit with her. Though it's my turn to head to the land down under!



Be sure to keep up with Carly's blog this month as she also celebrates Ichthyosis Awareness Month. Each day she is featuring a story written by someone who is affected or a parent of a child affected by Ichthyosis. Such a great way to raise awareness and learn more about this life long condition.

Carly featured our story last week you can read it HERE!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much!! It was one of the highlights of my trip and I cannot wait to see you all again :)

    ReplyDelete